Thursday, May 23, 2013

Detour!

     Tuesday was tough.  There were good things about the day but overall it was just tough. I know that my life is blessed and that many are far worse off but it was one of those days when you feel defeated.  I was angry.  I got angry at God.  Yes, even preachers do that sometimes.  At least this one does.  But with all trials a lesson is learned if your eyes are open.  It took a while but my eyes were opened.  I never got an opportunity to write the devotion for Tuesday.  I felt bad about that because I committed to doing it.  Even though the day was long and frustrating in many ways, I was able to get a devotion done for Wednesday but I was mentally exhausted.  I tried to do my best but I know that I didn't put the amount of mental effort into it that I normally do.  I felt brain dead.
     That is why I am taking a detour from Philippians for Thursday.  I learned a big lesson (again).  With all my feelings of failure and inadequacy weighing me down, I saw a notification on Facebook and I clicked it.  It was a friend commenting that they really needed the devotion that I had posted early Wednesday morning.  You know the one. The devotion that I barely had the energy to write. The horrible one.  You would think that I would have seen it coming.  I've been preaching for quite a few years and it never fails.  The sermon or lesson that you feel the worst about seems to be the one that most profoundly effects people.  One more reminder that it's not about me.  It's about God and His Word.  God has always been in the business of using unworthy, broken, and useless people and things.  I have preached about that countless times, one way or another.  Yet I still forget when it comes to me.  Paul told the Corinthians in his second letter that he had prayed to God for healing and deliverance from a problem and every time, the answer was the same.  God's grace was sufficient.  God's power is made perfect in weakness.  When all our strength is gone, it becomes clear that we keep on only by the power of God!  Paul wrote earlier in 2 Corinthians chapter 4 that we have the treasure of the Holy Spirit in us to show that the all-surpassing power is from God and not from us!  We are simple, cracked, and broken clay jars but we hold great treasure when we submit to Christ.
     When you feel powerless, you become powerful in the hand of God.  He can use you most when you are used up.  He will bring the victory through you when you are finally surrendered.  Let him use you.  If you feel as if you have nothing left to give, get ready.  God is about to use you like never before.

Read 2 Corinthians 4:7 and 12:7-10

No comments: