Tuesday, June 7, 2016

He Ain't Safe

“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.” 
― C.S. LewisThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

    That's a quote from "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe", where the question is asked if Aslan is safe. In the story, Aslan represents Jesus. And, he's a Lion.  I love that quote. It's a question I've asked before and many of you probably have as well. We really want to know if it's safe to trust Jesus with our life and follow Him.
    I've battled with that question for much of my ministry and I've made war with that question over the last few months as we've contemplated and finally begun the church planting journey. Church planting is an exciting, exasperating, invigorating, and frightening endeavor. And I haven't truly gotten below the surface yet.
    The whole "Is Jesus safe?"question kept me out of church planting for years. I wanted to follow Him if the path was a smooth, well-marked, well-lit asphalt jogging path. However, I wasn't too excited about following Jesus up and down rugged mountain trails, inches from the cliff and certainly not excited blazing a new trail. Yet, here I stand, clinging to edge of all that's familiar and trying to do my best to blindly forge ahead. Jesus seldom (never?) calls us into safe lives. He calls us to leave everything and follow Him. For you, maybe that's across the street. Or across the yard. Or across town. For me, that is church planting.
    The fear isn't gone. Sometimes it's buried. Deep. Other times, it's the walking dead. It taps me on my shoulder and tries to eat my brains. Sometimes it succeeds. When that happens I have to send it back where it came from. I have to remind it and myself that my success isn't based on my strength, my personality, my skills, my good looks (praise God!), or my benchmarks. My success is based on my faithfulness to the God who is not safe, but He IS Good!
    So I will keep following Him on the paths that He leads me on, and I'll blaze the trails that only He has been on before me.  I'll press on knowing that He is Good and He is with me.

KnightdaleMovement.com

No comments: