Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Go for the Bronze!

Everybody loves Michael Phelps. He's a champion. Everybody usually loves the best in the game. How many people start out in life saying, "I hope I have to scrape by for the rest of my life." "I hope I get all C's on my report card," or "man, I really hope I finish third in that race tomorrow. " Why? Because most of us want the best in every part of our life. Of course, there are always the slackers in life. But for the most part we would all like to be the best at our job, in school or whatever we may be doing. We definitely want the best things or more money. Nobody really strives to be mediocre.
But why do we settle for mediocrity or worse in our spiritual lives? I constantly find myself settling for less than what God has planned for me. I look around and the church is constantly reveling in its mediocrity. Why do we demand so much from ourselves and others in work, school, sports and fun and then settle for so much less in our relationship with the almighty creator of the universe? I think we have forgotten who we are dealing with. In Hebrews 10, the Holy Spirit is trying to pound into our heads the idea that we better take seriously our relationship with Jesus Christ. So often, I think many of us are on the verge of trampling on the Son of God.
The only way to wake ourselves up is to remember who we used to be (Hebrews 10) and get back in God's Word. Renew your love for Him, remember what you used to be without Him, and start really living for Him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely put, Bobby Wallace.

American Christians have compartmentalized their lives, and sqeezed God into one of those compartments when he actually deserves all of our life--our jobs, families, finances, thoughts, everything.

I don't think the church has helped, either. We tend to pander to the wants of the "insiders" instead of challenging (that's not a strong enough word) them. We feed the consumerism that has enveloped every aspect of our lives instead of challenge it.

Unknown said...

true, true, Aaron.