Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I need a Football helmet.

Oh, the mind of a toddler! I am amazed and puzzled by watching my youngest son. Everything he experiences is new and fresh and full of possibilities. Simple things can be so difficult and yet things that perplex us can be plain and simple for him. A set of steps is a virtual Mt. Everest waiting to be conquered and yet an awkward moment when someone is crying is crystal clear. If they are sad, they need a hug/tackle and a sloppy (open mouth) slobbery kiss.
Sometimes I find myself thinking him silly when he refuses help on a difficult task. I laugh or grow frustrated as he struggles to complete something that seems so easy for me. It's common for me to think how childish and short-sighted he can be. But am I different?
How many times have I struggled through life, refusing assistance from the God who made me and saved me. What was excruciatingly troublesome for me was unbelievably simple for Him. Yet there I was, banging my head against that spiritual wall while my God was there all along trying to help lift me over it.
He is able to see through, over or around any obstacle that comes my way. If only I would just grow up and recognize it. But maybe that's the problem. Maybe I'm too "grown up". Maybe I need that "faith like a child." Because, now that I think about it, my little one is the first to hold up his arms for Daddy to carry him when the journey gets too tough. Hold me Jesus.

No comments: