Wednesday, November 19, 2008

None too familiar.

Familiarity breeds contempt.  If I wanted to make you sick of something, I would talk about it over and over and over and make it a byword.  I would tell you all about the benefits of it but never let you experience them.  I would create a watered-down version of it and push it on you at every turn.  That's a nearly fool-proof plan to breed contempt or better yet, apathy, towards the object of my scorn.  How do I know that it's nigh upon fool-proof?  The plan has already been carried out with painstaking effort.  What was the target?  What fiend perpetrated it?  The answers are: Jesus and the church.
Over many years we have taken Jesus and talked about Him over and over and over; while too often keeping people from truly experiencing the benefits of Him.  We've done this by allowing a watered-down version of Jesus to permeate our lives and the world.  Jesus, to many, has become little more than a logo for a knick-knack, shirt or bumper sticker.  We have not, for the most part, been ill-intentioned.  Most of us have been duped.  Satan in all of his wily ways has bought and sold us not by the devil-worshippers or the atheists, but with plain old, grade-A apathy.  
We have raised at least two (if not vastly more) generations of weak, skin-deep "Christ Followers".  I think that too many "Christ Followers" follow like Peter did on the night of Jesus' arrest, not wanting to be seen with the man.  
We have become overwhelmingly a people ignorant of scripture, unwilling to serve, and blind to the need of evangelism.  We deem it a chore to study the Word of God with Christians, and feel that only the tasks that meet our needs are worthy.  We do not tell the good news of Jesus Christ because it honestly isn't good news for us.  
I propose a radical course of action for myself and all those who may read this (thanks mom!).  Instead of reading the newest religious self-help book, let's read the Bible!  Let's fall in love with the one who made us and redeemed us.  I know I've forgotten how amazing He is.  Let's serve others instead of ourselves.  Let's tell anyone who will listen that Jesus has changed us.  Oh but don't forget to let Him first.  Allow your decisions to catch up with your soul.  If a handful of us actually do what the Lord commands, this world couldn't stand it.  I need your help.  Because as simple as the prescription is, I have forgotten to do it.  
I guarantee that if we get to know the Jesus in the Bible, He won't be contemptible; even if He becomes familiar.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So... Bobby Wallace does live. Welcome back to the blogosphere.

And, good post.